Entrepreneurs often report that getting financing is the most challenging aspect of starting a business. There are both government and private-sector sources of financing that you can tap into to get your business off the ground.
The government provides financing to help entrepreneurs like you start a business. Some of this financing is targeted at specific demographic groups and industry sectors, and some of it is available to a wider audience. The financing includes grants and contributions (which generally do not have to be repaid), loans, and loan guarantees (which generally do have to be repaid).
- Aerospace and Defence Tax Rebate
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYour PEI aerospace and defence-related business may be eligible for a tax rebate.
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation Lending
Only Applies to : AlbertaAccess loans and services to start or grow farm, agribusiness or other small business.
- ATB BoostR
Only Applies to : AlbertaThis crowdfunding platform can help your Alberta business raise money through a community of supporters, in exchange for a reward.
- Alberta Foundation for the Arts Grants
Only Applies to : AlbertaLearn about grants and resources for artists in Alberta.
- APEX Investment Fund
Only Applies to : SaskatchewanIf your business is in one of three key industry sectors, you may be able to attract an equity investment of up to $5 million from this private fund.
- Appui financier à la relève dans le secteur de la capture
Only Applies to : QuebecAre you between the ages of 18 and 39 and want to buy your first fishing business? If so, you may be eligible for financial support to do so.
- ATB Financial
Only Applies to : AlbertaIf you are looking for money to help you start or operate your small business in Alberta, you may be eligible for financing opportunities.
- Atlantic Association of Community Business Development Corporations
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorPrince Edward IslandNova ScotiaNew BrunswickIf you live in a rural region of Atlantic Canada, you can access business counselling, financing and training to help start or grow your business.
- AVAC Ltd.
Only Applies to : AlbertaIf you operate a new Alberta agricultural business, you can apply for money for R&D and to help you market your product or service.
- BDC Buying a businessFind out how you could get financing to buy an existing business.
- BDC CapitalAccess a wide range of specialized financing to match the various stages of growth of your business.
- BDC business loansYou could get money to help you start or grow your business.
- BDC Financing for starting a businessLearn how you could get a loan to start or buy a business or to buy property or equipment to set up your business.
- BDC Small Business Loan — for existing businessGet a loan of up to $100,000 within 5 business days. There are no application fees or hassles and the entire process is online.
- Black Business Initiative — Financial support
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaAs an African Nova Scotian entrepreneur, you could access a loan of up to $25,000 to start or expand your business.
- Investment Attraction Fund
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorYou could get a loan or equity investment to establish your company in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Business Development Program
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorPrince Edward IslandNova ScotiaNew BrunswickAccess funds to start, expand or improve your business in Atlantic Canada.
- Business Start Program
Only Applies to : ManitobaAre you ready to begin your business journey? Access this 3-day business workshop and loan guarantee program to start things off on the right foot.
- Canada Small Business Financing ProgramAccess funds for your small business with the help of this loan guarantee program.
- Canadian Agricultural Loans Act programFind out how this loan guarantee could help you secure credit for your farming business.
- CBDC First-time Entrepreneur Loan
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorPrince Edward IslandNova ScotiaNew BrunswickIf you're a first-time entrepreneur living in a rural community in Atlantic Canada, you could get help to buy an existing business or start your own.
- CBDC General Business Loan
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorPrince Edward IslandNova ScotiaNew BrunswickIf you’re an entrepreneur living in a rural community in Atlantic Canada, you could get help to expand your existing business or buy a new one.
- Centre for Entrepreneurship Education Development — Financing
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaIf you live in Halifax, Dartmouth or Bedford, you may be eligible for several financing programs to help fund your venture.
- City of Saskatoon Business Development Incentives Program
Only Applies to : SaskatchewanYour business may be eligible for a tax abatement from the City of Saskatoon.
- Community Business Development Corporations — Social Enterprise Loan
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorPrince Edward IslandNova ScotiaNew BrunswickYou could get a loan of up to $150,000 to start-up, renovate or grow your social enterprise in rural Atlantic Canada.
- Community Futures Self Employment Program
Only Applies to : British ColumbiaIf you live in BC and are underemployed, unemployed or have made an EI claim in recent years, you could get help to start a business.
- Craft Business Development
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaAccess skills development and funding assistance to develop or grow your craft business in Cape Breton Island and Mulgrave.
- Development Capital
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could receive funding of $2 million or more for your growth project.
- Direct Equity Tax Credit Program
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorInvest in a new or expanding small business in Newfoundland and Labrador and receive a provincial income tax credit.
- Economic Development Council for Manitoba Bilingual Municipalities: Financing
Only Applies to : ManitobaIf you are a Francophone living in Manitoba, you may be able to get financing to start or grow a business.
- Economic Development Initiative (Southern Ontario)
Only Applies to : OntarioFunding may be available for your organization if you provide business support services in French to a Francophone community in southern Ontario.
- Entrepreneur Loan Program
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou may be eligible to receive up to $100,000 directly from authorized lenders backed by a government guarantee for your new or expanding business.
- ESSOR Program — Funding support for development projects
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could get funding to create a new business, or to upgrade your processes or facilities.
- FACTOR funding for the sound recording industryIf your business operates in the English sound recording industry in Canada, you could qualify for funding to support various business activities.
- Farm Credit Canada — loans and lending optionsYou could access flexible financing options for your farming, agri-food or agribusiness operation.
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaAs a new farmer, you could be eligible for funding to reduce the loan principal on your first commercial business by up to $30,000.
- Fishing Licence Loan Program
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaApply for a loan to buy a New Entrant or New Species fishing licence.
- Fonds afro-entrepreneurs — Loans to Afro-Québécois businesspeople
Only Applies to : QuebecAre you a member of one of Quebec's black communities? You could receive a loan or loan guarantee for your business' needs.
- Fonds d'aide à l'économie de Lac-Mégantic
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could receive financial assistance if you carry out studies or projects promoting economic and tourism development in the town of Lac-Mégantic.
- Fonds d'appui au rayonnement des régions
Only Applies to : QuebecIf you have a development project that meets a regional priority, with the exception of the Capitale-Nationale and Montreal, you could receive funding.
- Fonds de développement économique de la région de la Capitale-Nationale
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could get financial assistance if your project has a structuring effect on the economic development of the Capitale-Nationale region.
- Fonds de diversification économique du Centre-du-Québec et de la Mauricie
Only Applies to : QuebecAre you looking to start or expand your business development project in the Centre-du-Québec and Mauricie regions? You could get financial support.
- Fonds de diversification économique — MRC des Sources
Only Applies to : QuebecAre you looking to start or expand your business development project in the Regional County Municipality of Des Sources? You could get financial assistance.
- Fonds d'investissement en agroalimentaire Nicolet-Yamaska
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could receive financial assistance of up to $10,000 to start or expand your non-conventional-sized agri-food business.
- Fonds d'investissement pour la relève agricole
Only Applies to : QuebecAre you an agricultural entrepreneur 39 years old or younger? You may be eligible for assistance to acquire or lease agricultural land with option to purchase.
- Fonds Jeunes Entreprises
Only Applies to : QuebecMontréal-EstMontréal-EstAnjouSaint-LéonardMontréal-NordMontréalMontréalWestmountWestmountVerdunLaSalleMontréal-OuestMontréal-OuestCôte-Saint-LucLachineCôte-Saint-LucHampsteadHampsteadOutremontMont-RoyalMont-RoyalSaint-LaurentDorvalDorvalL'Île-DorvalPointe-ClairePointe-ClaireKirklandKirklandBeaconsfieldBeaconsfieldBaie-d'UrféSainte-Anne-de-BellevueSainte-Anne-de-BellevueSennevilleSennevillePierrefondsSainte-GenevièveDollard-des-OrmeauxDollard-Des OrmeauxRoxboroL'Île-BizardIf you are an entrepreneur living on the Island of Montreal, you could get a grant to start or grow your business.
- Fonds Tourisme PME
Only Applies to : QuebecIf you are starting a business or have a growth project in the tourism industry, you may qualify for a loan of up to $250,000.
- Forestry Financing
Only Applies to : QuebecIf you are a forestry producer in Quebec, you could benefit from support and funding for your private woodlot development projects.
- Grants and professional development — Arts sector
Only Applies to : SaskatchewanAre you a Saskatchewan resident looking for funding or professional development in the arts? Learn about the various programs available to entrepreneurs.
- Grants for registered family child care homes
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorThinking of starting a registered family child care home in Newfoundland and Labrador? You may be eligible for start-up grants and yearly supplements.
- Impact Loan program
Only Applies to : OntarioIf you are starting or expanding your business in the London area and you cannot access traditional financing, you may qualify for a loan of up to $5,000.
- Industry-Academic Collaboration Programs
Only Applies to : OntarioLearn about financing and support that may help you develop and commercialize innovative techniques, products and services in Ontario.
- Investment Fund Grant Programs
Only Applies to : SaskatchewanIf you are an artist or creative producer in Saskatchewan with a product ready to sell, you can apply to receive a grant to support your efforts.
- Jeunes entreprises collectives
Only Applies to : QuebecIf you operate a collective start-up, you could receive funding of at least $23,000 in the form of a grant, subsidy or loan.
- Junior Exploration Assistance Program
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorYou could receive a grant to conduct advanced mineral exploration and prospecting activities.
- Local investment fund
Only Applies to : QuebecApply for financing to start or expand a business in Quebec.
- Local Poverty Reduction Fund
Only Applies to : OntarioYour registered charity, not-for-profit or Indigenous-led organization may be eligible for a grant for sustainable projects that aim to reduce poverty.
- Marketing Support Program
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou could obtain financial assistance for marketing costs from start-up through to international exporting.
- Metis-Dene Development Fund
Only Applies to : Northwest TerritoriesYou could get a loan to help you develop your business in the Northwest Territories.
- Micro-Loan Program
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou may be eligible to receive financing to help start or expand your PEI-based business.
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could obtain microfinancing from this network to start a business in Quebec.
- Music PEI Funding Program
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandIf you are a musical artist from PEI, you may apply for a grant to assist you in developing your craft.
- New Business Growth Program
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandIf you are an established musician in PEI, you could get help in developing your career, particularly through revenue streams.
- New Entrant Farmer Loan Program
Only Applies to : New BrunswickYou could get up to $750,000 in loans to help you buy a farm.
- Nunavut Business Credit Corporation
Only Applies to : NunavutYou could get up to $1 million to start or grow a business in Nunavut.
- Ontario Catapult Microloan Fund for Social Enterprises
Only Applies to : OntarioYou may be eligible for a loan of $5,000 to $25,000 for your innovative Ontario-based social enterprise.
- Opportunities Fund for Persons with DisabilitiesIf you are a person with a disability who wants to start a business or if would like to hire someone with a disability, you could qualify for funds.
- PME MTL Fund
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could obtain a loan and technical assistance to carry out your business project if you have a business in Montreal at the start-up or development stage.
- Prêt à entreprendre
Only Applies to : QuebecAre you starting a business or thinking of buying an existing one in Quebec? If so, you could get a loan on trust and support services.
- Programme de soutien à la reprise collective
Only Applies to : QuebecDo you want to transfer or buy a business? If so, you can receive funding to help you.
- Prospectors Assistance
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorYou could receive funding for mineral exploration activities and prospector training.
- Quebec Economic Development Program (QEDP)
Only Applies to : QuebecFind out about financial and other resources that can help you develop your Quebec business.
- Self-Employ PEI
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandInterested in starting your own business? If you are currently unemployed, you may be eligible to receive benefits to help you do so.
- Self-Employment Assistance
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorIf you are unemployed and want to create a job for yourself by starting your own business, you may be eligible for financial and entrepreneurial assistance.
- Self-Employment Benefit — Workforce Expansion
Only Applies to : New BrunswickDo you want to start a business and be your own boss? Find out about a program that could help you get started.
- Self Employment Option
Only Applies to : Northwest TerritoriesInterested in starting your own business in the NWT? If you are unemployed, you could continue to receive benefits and get help to start your business.
- Self Employment Program (Manitoba)
Only Applies to : ManitobaAre you collecting Employment and Income Assistance? Are you ready to be your own boss? The Self Employment Program might be the next step for you.
- Self-Employment Program (Saskatchewan)
Only Applies to : SaskatchewanAre you currently unemployed and interested in starting your own business? You can apply to get training and support.
- Self-Employment Program (Alberta)
Only Applies to : AlbertaIf you are unemployed, you could get self-employment training, continue to receive benefits, and get assistance for living expenses.
- Self-Employment Program (Nova Scotia)
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaGet support and training to start a business to create your own job.
- Support for Self-Employment
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could get financial and technical support to start a business or create your own job.
- Small Business Assistance
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou could obtain a small business loan to purchase or expand a business, to consolidate debt, or undertake new construction.
- Social Enterprise Ontario
Only Applies to : OntarioYour social enterprise with an environmental or social goal for Francophones may be eligible for grants of up to $16,000 or loans of up to $40,000.
- Starter Company Plus
Only Applies to : OntarioYou may be eligible for funding of up to $5,000 and business skills training to help you a start or expand a business.
- Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic Development
Only Applies to : Northwest TerritoriesYou may be eligible to receive financial support to start a new business or improve your business' capacity.
- Support for Québec Farm Business Development
Only Applies to : QuebecIf you run development projects for your agriculture and agri-food business, you could be eligible for an investment grant.
- Support loan program
Only Applies to : St. John'sMount PearlYour non-profit organization could receive funding to start or grow a social enterprise.
- New Small Business Tax Deduction
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaFind out how you can avoid paying Nova Scotia corporate income tax for the first 3 years of your new incorporated business.
- Prince's Operation EntrepreneurIf you are a transitioning Canadian Armed Forces member looking to establish a small business, this program could be for you.
- Toronto Enterprise Fund
Only Applies to : OntarioYou could receive funding to start or manage a social enterprise that provides employment or training for socially marginalized people.
- Tourism Financing Assistance
Only Applies to : Prince Edward IslandIf you own a tourism establishment, you may be able to get a loan to buy, build, renovate or expand your business or consolidate debts.
- Town of Conception Bay South Business Incentive Programs
Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorIf you are opening a business or expanding an existing business in the Town of Conception Bay South, you can apply for a business tax reduction.
- SMBs and Large Corporations — Project Financing
Only Applies to : QuebecYou could get a loan, a loan guarantee or financing in "quasi-equity" for up to 100% of project costs related to the growth of your business.
- Vessel Loan Program
Only Applies to : Nova ScotiaApply for a loan to purchase, build or modify your fishing vessel.
- York Entrepreneurship Development Institute programs
Only Applies to : OntarioYou may be able to access training, certification, and mentoring for your innovative small business or established not-for-profit enterprise.
You can also turn to the private sector for financing for your business. You can look to Canada's major financial institutions, such as banks, credit unions, and cooperatives. Depending on the type of business you want to start, you might also be able to secure venture capital or financing from angel investors.