Avoid layoffs. If business is slow, you could offer at least 2 of your core workers a temporarily reduced work week if they are eligible for employment insurance (EI). Their wages can be supplemented through EI benefits for the days they won't be working.
- Have been in business year-round for at least 2 years
- Prove that the work shortage is temporary and unavoidable
- Show that the decrease of business activity is about 10%
- Submit a plan to be able to offer normal working hours within 6-26 weeks
- Have the approval of the employees and the union
Other conditions apply.