If your organization is eligible, there may be some tax advantages to registering it as a charity. You may be able to:
- Be exempt from paying income tax
- Get a GST/HST exemption
- Issue official donation receipts for gifts you receive
To be eligible:
- Your charity's resources must be devoted to charitable activities.
- It must be located in Canada.
- The income cannot benefit the charity's members.
- The charity must benefit the public.
To register your organization as a charity, you must incorporate it or make sure it is governed by a trust or constitution that explains its purpose and structure.
- Date modified: