Spoofing is the use of a fraudulent email address or website to impersonate a legitimate source.
Unfortunately, because anyone can create a website, it is possible for scammers to create websites that look real. In doing so, they can steal personal information.
Scammers will use a number of techniques to do this including:
- Stealing the artwork and design of another website to appear legitimate.
- Diverting traffic by using a web address that is very similar to a legitimate one. Often by making use of a misspelling.
- Hacking a real website and redirecting users to a false one
To avoid spoofing:
- Do not click on links sent from unknown senders
- Only use links and contacts supplied to you by the business
- Exercise caution and skepticism before giving out personal information
If a scammer is impersonating your business online, notify the hosting service, if possible, and your customers of the impersonator. You should also consider contacting the police.