Although exporting offers many rewards like increased sales and market growth, it can put a strain on your finances. Many exporters seek external financing to support this activity. Various financing solutions are available to help you hire international trade expertise, to help you market and sell abroad, to help boost your working capital and to reduce your financial risks.
Table of Contents
- CanExport program
You could get up to $50,000 to help your business develop new export markets.
- Aboriginal Initiatives Fund IIIOnly Applies to : QuebecYour for-profit or non-profit Aboriginal organization could be eligible for a grant for its economic development project.
- Aboriginal Tourism Development Funding Support ProgramOnly Applies to : CanadaYou could get up to $10,000 for a project that is designed to help your Aboriginal tourism business move towards market or export readiness.
- Adam Chowaniec Memorial Fund for Global Entrepreneurship
You could qualify for a $3,000 grant for activities that support the promotion or development of export opportunities for Canadians.
- AgriAssurance: Small and Medium-sized Enterprise Component
Do you run an agriculture business? You can apply for funding to help you implement assurance projects that address market and regulatory requirements.
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation LendingOnly Applies to : AlbertaAccess loans and services to start or grow a farm, agribusiness or other small business.
- ATB BoostROnly Applies to : AlbertaThis crowdfunding platform can help your Alberta business raise money through a community of supporters, in exchange for a reward.
- Alberta Indian Investment CorporationOnly Applies to : AlbertaIf you are an Indigenous entrepreneur seeking financing and business support, learn about loans, equity investments and services available to you.
- Alberta Media FundOnly Applies to : AlbertaIf you publish books or magazines, or produce films or sound recordings, you could get a grant to fund new projects and cover eligible expenses.
- Alberta Women EntrepreneursOnly Applies to : AlbertaAs a woman in Alberta, you can take advantage of this network and its tools to gain business skills and help your business succeed.
- ATB FinancialOnly Applies to : AlbertaIf you are looking for money to help you start or operate your small business in Alberta, you may be eligible for financing opportunities.
- Atuqtuarvik Corporation — FinancingOnly Applies to : NunavutIf you are Inuit and live in Nunavut, you can apply for a loan to start or expand your business.
- BDC Capital
Access a wide range of specialized financing to match the various stages of growth of your business.
- BDC business loans
You could get money to help you start or grow your business.
- BDC Indigenous Entrepreneur Loan
As an Indigenous entrepreneur, you could get money to help start or grow your business.
- BDC Small Business Loan — for existing businessOnly Applies to : CanadaGet a loan of up to $100,000 within 5 business days. There are no application fees or hassles and the entire process is online.
- BDC Xpansion Loan
You could get financing to help you explore new domestic or foreign market opportunities.
- Bioenterprise Seed Funding ProgramOnly Applies to : OntarioHas your business developed a unique agricultural or agri-food innovation in Southern Ontario? You could access seed financing and business coaching.
- Business Development ProgramOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and Labrador Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia New BrunswickAccess funds to start, expand or improve your business in Atlantic Canada.
- Business Investment FundOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorNeed financing to grow or expand your business? If it is part of the Province's strategic sector, you could be eligible for funding.
- Canada Book Fund
You could receive financial assistance for your Canadian book publishing business.
- Canada Council for the Arts — Funding
Are you an artist? You may be eligible for various grants and prizes through the Canada Council for the Arts.
- Canada Feature Film Fund
If you are an incorporated Canadian film producer, you could receive money to develop, produce and market your movies in English or French.
- Canada Music Fund: Aid to Canadian Music Publishing Firms
Your music publishing firm could receive a yearly contribution of up to $75,000 for projects that cultivate and promote Canadian music talent.
- CanExport program
You could get up to $50,000 to help your business develop new export markets.
- CBDC General Business LoanOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and Labrador Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia New BrunswickIf you’re an entrepreneur living in a rural community in Atlantic Canada, you could get help to expand your existing business or buy a new one.
- Collaboration Voucher ProgramOnly Applies to : OntarioYou may be able to cut the cost of innovation technical expertise needed to keep your Ontario business competitive.
- Community Futures Alberta — Small business loansOnly Applies to : AlbertaYou could get a loan to start or grow a business if you live in rural Alberta.
- Community Futures British Columbia — Financing programs for entrepreneursOnly Applies to : British ColumbiaYou could get a loan to start or grow a business if you live in a rural area of British Columbia.
- Community Futures ManitobaOnly Applies to : ManitobaFind out about loans to start or grow a business if you live in rural and northern Manitoba.
- Community Futures Program (NWT)Only Applies to : Northwest TerritoriesIf you are starting a new business or looking to grow your existing business in the NWT, you could be eligible for business assistance, funding or counselling.
- Community Futures Program (Quebec)Only Applies to : QuebecGet funding for starting or growing a business in a designated rural or suburban area of the province of Quebec.
- Community Futures Saskatchewan — Loans for small businessesOnly Applies to : SaskatchewanYou could get a loan to start or grow a business if you live in rural or northern Saskatchewan.
- Community Futures Treaty Seven — Business developmentOnly Applies to : AlbertaAre you an Aboriginal entrepreneur wishing to start or grow your business? You may be eligible for a business loan.
- Consultant Advisory Services ProgramOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorYou can access up to $5,000 to hire a consultant to help with an issue or a challenge faced by your SME or non-profit organization.
- Craft business developmentOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaAccess skills development and funding assistance to develop or grow your craft business in Cape Breton Island and Mulgrave.
- Creative Export Canada
Get funding to develop exports in the creative industries sector.
- Creative Industries FundOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaYour creative-industry organization could get funding to help you reach global markets.
- Cultural industries — Financial assistanceOnly Applies to : New BrunswickFind out how you could get money to help cover costs related to your film, television, new media, music or publishing business.
- E-tools for Exporting programOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and Labrador Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia New BrunswickAccess financial assistance to help develop and integrate electronic tools that can improve your business and exporting success.
- Eastern Ontario Development FundOnly Applies to : OntarioIf you run an incorporated business, you could receive project funding that supports business expansion and innovation in your region.
- Economic Development Council for Manitoba Bilingual Municipalities: FinancingOnly Applies to : ManitobaIf you are a Francophone living in Manitoba, you may be able to get financing to start or grow a business.
- Economic Development Initiative (Southern Ontario)Only Applies to : OntarioFunding may be available for your organization if you provide business support services in French to a Francophone community in southern Ontario.
- EDC Direct Lending
Get financing to sell into markets outside of Canada.
- Enterprise Trade Fund (film and sound industries)Only Applies to : YukonIf your business is involved in the sound or film industry, you can apply for funding of up to $50,000.
- Enterprise Trade Fund (Small Business)Only Applies to : YukonYou could be eligible for funding to open, develop or expand markets or to stimulate Yukon business activities.
- Entrepreneur Loan ProgramOnly Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou may be eligible to receive up to $100,000 directly from authorized lenders backed by a government guarantee for your new or expanding business.
- Entrepreneurship and Business Development FundOnly Applies to : Yukon Northwest Territories NunavutIf you are Aboriginal and live in the territories, you could get financing to start or grow a business.
- Export Growth ProgramOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaYou could be eligible for funding up to $15,000 to increase your export capabilities.
- Export Guarantee Program
You could increase your chances of obtaining financing from your bank.
- Export Market Access — A global expansion programOnly Applies to : OntarioIf you have 3 to 500 employees and annual sales of $300,000 or more, you may qualify for a grant of 50% on costs to grow export sales.
- Export Market Access ProgramOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and Labrador Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia New BrunswickAccess financial assistance to help you market yourself more effectively, increase your exports and grow your business.
- Export Readiness Micro-Voucher ProgramOnly Applies to : AlbertaYour Alberta business could get up to $5,000 for the development of a targeted international market strategy focused on one country.
- Export Support FundOnly Applies to : AlbertaYour Alberta business could be eligible for funding of up to $20,000 per year for a select range of approved export activities.
- Exportateurs de classe mondiale ProgramOnly Applies to : QuebecIf you are in the agri-food business, you could get funding to explore export markets, develop strategies, and seize business opportunities.
- FACTOR funding for the sound recording industry
If your business operates in the English sound recording industry in Canada, you could qualify for funding to support various business activities.
- Farm Credit Canada — loans and lending options
You could access flexible financing options for your farming, agri-food or agribusiness operation.
- Femmessor — Réussir en affairesOnly Applies to : QuebecYou could obtain funding, training or mentoring for a project relating to the acquisition, start-up, expansion or consolidation of a business.
- FIJE FundOnly Applies to : QuebecIf you are a woman, an immigrant or a young entrepreneur of the Haute-Yamaska region, you could get a loan of up to $50,000 for your business project.
- Fisheries and Sealing — Commercial Fisheries Freight SubsidyOnly Applies to : NunavutAs a commercial fisher or business owner, you could get a grant to cover up to 50% of the cost to ship within Nunavut and southern Canada.
- Seafood Innovation and Transition ProgramOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorIf your fisheries-related business or organization is transitioning from shellfish to groundfish, you could be eligible for funding.
- Fonds de solidarité FTQOnly Applies to : QuebecIf your Quebec business is in a period of growth and profitability, you can use this fund to obtain personalized business solutions that meet your needs.
- Buyer Financing
EDC can help give your business a competitive advantage by providing your international buyers with flexible payment options.
- Fuel Injection ProgramOnly Applies to : OntarioYour advanced manufacturing or social innovation business could access up to $30,000 in seed funding for growth projects in Southern Ontario.
- Funding programs for Nunavut filmmakersOnly Applies to : NunavutIf you are a filmmaker, producer or owner of a production company based in Nunavut, you may get money to create films, television shows and digital media.
- Growing Forward 2: Growing Value — CommercializationOnly Applies to : ManitobaIf you are an agriproducer or agriprocessor, you could receive financing for pre-commercialization, commercialization and market development activities.
- Incoming Buyers ProgramOnly Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYour business could receive up to $2,250 to bring an international buyer to your business.
- Industry Development ProgramOnly Applies to : OntarioYour not-for-profit, cultural media industry organization could be eligible for funding and support to hold industry-enhancing events in Ontario.
- Innovation Rebate ProgramOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaApply for a 25% rebate on projects valued up to $15 million that will increase the global competitiveness of your business.
- Interactive Digital Media FundOnly Applies to : OntarioYou may be eligible for funding to help you cover some the costs of commercializing your interactive digital media content.
- Investing in Business Growth and ProductivityOnly Applies to : OntarioYour established Ontario business or not-for-profit organization may be eligible for funding to grow and be more productive.
- Jobs and Prosperity FundOnly Applies to : OntarioYou may be eligible for funding to help with business projects that will enhance productivity and help you compete in the global marketplace.
- Makigiaqvik LoansOnly Applies to : NunavutIf you have an Inuit-owned business and are living in the Qikiqtani region, you may be eligible for a loan of up to $50,000.
- Manufacturing and Processing Exporter Hiring Tax IncentiveOnly Applies to : SaskatchewanYour Saskatchewan business may be eligible for a tax credit if your number of employees has increased since 2014.
- Market Access ProgramOnly Applies to : SaskatchewanIf you want to market your product or service beyond Saskatchewan, you may be eligible for reimbursement of some costs to exhibit at a trade event in a new market.
- Market Development, Product Enhancement and Diversification ProgramOnly Applies to : New BrunswickIf you work in New Brunswick's agri-food industry, you may be eligible for financial assistance to target and/or expand export markets.
- Marketing Support AssistanceOnly Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou could obtain financial assistance for marketing costs from start-up through to international exporting.
- Métis Assistance Program (Saskatchewan)Only Applies to : SaskatchewanIf you are a Métis business owner in Saskatchewan, learn how you could get up to 40% of your project costs covered.
- Métis Voyageur Development FundOnly Applies to : OntarioIf you are Métis, your Ontario-based business may be eligible for loans up to $1M with better rates and fewer restrictions than with commercial lenders.
- Micro-Loan ProgramOnly Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou may be eligible to receive financing to help start or expand your PEI-based business.
- Music PEI Funding ProgramOnly Applies to : Prince Edward IslandIf you are a musical artist from PEI, you may apply for a grant to assist you in developing your craft.
You may be eligible for financing if you are a French-language songwriter, composer, artist, or recording business owner.
- NATI-ACOA Export Internship ProgramOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorYour export ready business may qualify for wage subsidies to hire recent graduates to help with export activities.
- Northern Business Opportunity Program (Northern Ontario)Only Applies to : OntarioYour Northern Ontario business could be eligible for grants or loans ranging from $200,000 to $1 million.
- Northern Ontario Development ProgramOnly Applies to : OntarioApply for financing to grow your business in Northern Ontario.
- NORTHSTAR Trade Finance Canada
Your foreign customer could get financing to purchase your products and services.
- Nova Scotia Business Inc. Payroll RebateOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaYou could receive a payroll rebate for your knowledge-based, growth sector-oriented project.
- Ontario Catapult Microloan Fund for Social EnterprisesOnly Applies to : OntarioYou may be eligible for a loan of $5,000 to $25,000 for your innovative Ontario-based social enterprise.
- Ontario film and television fundingOnly Applies to : OntarioYou could be eligible for funding to help your Canadian corporation develop, produce and export Ontario films and television shows.
- Ontario Media Development Corporation Export FundOnly Applies to : OntarioDiscover how your cultural media company could receive funding for export development.
- Ontario Music FundOnly Applies to : OntarioIf you run a business, a consortium, an industry association or a not-for-profit organization active in the Ontario music sector you may be eligible to apply for funding.
- Programme d'accès aux marchésOnly Applies to : QuebecIf you are seeking to expand your business' sales in the food-processing industry, and gain access to new markets, you could be eligible for financing.
- Programme d'aide à l'exportation et au rayonnement culturel des œuvres cinématographiques, télévisuelles et interactives québécoiseOnly Applies to : QuebecDo you own a cultural business? If so, you could get financial support for your export projects and cultural outreach activities.
- Programme d'appui aux fromageriesOnly Applies to : QuebecDo you own a cheese factory that processes less than 5 million litres of milk annually? You could benefit from financial assistance to improve your competitiveness.
- Programme Exportation — Volet EntreprisesOnly Applies to : QuebecPlanning to export to new markets? You could get financial assistance to cover expenses or fees related to your export marketing activities.
- Quality Improvement AssistanceOnly Applies to : Prince Edward IslandYou could receive financing to enhance trade and export opportunities and improve your competitiveness in the global marketplace.
- Quebec Economic Development ProgramOnly Applies to : QuebecFind out about financial and other resources that can help you develop your Quebec business.
- Rise Asset DevelopmentOnly Applies to : Nova Scotia OntarioIf you are an entrepreneur facing mental health or addiction challenges you could get $300 to $10,000 to help start, grow or promote your business.
- Sivummut Grants to Small BusinessesOnly Applies to : NunavutIf you live in the Baffin (Qikiqtaaluk) region of Nunavut, you could get up to $25,000 to start or grow a business.
- Small Business Development ProgramOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaYou could qualify for a government rebate of up to $15,000 to increase your export capacity.
- Soft Landing program
Are you ready to take your ICT business global? Get help making the right connections abroad.
- Southwestern Ontario Development FundOnly Applies to : OntarioAs an incorporated business or not-for-profit organization, you could receive funding to support business expansion and innovation in your region.
- Strategic Investments ProgramOnly Applies to : NunavutYou could get funding to start or grow a business, or to help build Nunavut's economy if you run a not-for-profit corporation or society.
- Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic DevelopmentOnly Applies to : Northwest TerritoriesYou may be eligible to receive financial support to start a new business or improve your business' capacity.
- Tax credits — Market Diversification for Quebec Manufacturing CompaniesOnly Applies to : QuebecWould you like to sell your manufactured products outside Quebec? This tax measure can help you cover your certification costs.
- Touring Artist FundOnly Applies to : YukonYou could get funding to help you exhibit your artistic work outside the Yukon.
- Tourism Industry Partners ProgramOnly Applies to : OntarioYou could get financing to help your business consortium market an Ontario tourist destination to tourists outside Ontario or Canada.
- Tourism Product Diversification and Marketing ProgramOnly Applies to : Northwest TerritoriesAccess funding to develop your tourism business in the Northwest Territories.
- SMBs and Large Corporations — Project FinancingOnly Applies to : QuebecYou could get a loan, a loan guarantee or financing in "quasi-equity" for up to 100% of project costs related to the growth of your business.
- Women in Cleantech Challenge
Are you a female entrepreneur looking to put your cleantech idea into action? You could get funding and support, while competing for $1 million.
- Yukon Venture Loan Guarantee ProgramOnly Applies to : YukonGet help securing financing from commercial lenders by lowering the risk associated with the loan.
Reduce your financial risks
There are ways to reduce your risks without losing out on good opportunities to grow your business.
- Getting paid: Understanding export transactions
Now that you've arranged to export goods to an international buyer, how do you get paid? Learn about the different methods of payment.
- EDC Portfolio Credit Insurance
Insure your accounts receivable against commercial risks.
- EDC bonding and guarantees
Learn about your bonding and guarantee options when exporting your goods.
- EDC Select Credit Insurance (Trade Protect)
Insure your export sales and protect your business from the risk of non-payment.
- Political risk insurance
You can insure your business against a variety of political risks with flexible plans from Export Development Canada.
Find private sector financing
There is a wide variety of private sector organizations that provide financing which may meet your needs.
- Private sector financing
Your business may be eligible for different types of private sector financing, including debt and equity.
- Date modified: