Health and safety regulations
Learn about your obligations regarding ensuring the safety of your products, your services, and your workplace. Get information on best practices and inspections related to health and safety.
Products and services
- Permits and licences
Find the federal, provincial/territorial and municipal permits and licences that you may need to start or manage your business.
- For Industry: Canada Consumer Product Safety Act
If you manufacture, import, distribute or sell products, find out what you need to do to ensure that your products are safe.
- Radiation emitting devices
You must ensure that radiation-emitting devices (such as X-rays and tanning equipment) comply with certain safety requirements.
- Getting electrical products approvedOnly Applies to : OntarioIf you manufacture, import, or sell electrical equipment in Ontario, you need to make sure that it meets the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.
- Boiler and pressure vessel safety (Saskatchewan)Only Applies to : SaskatchewanIf you manufacture, install or operate pressure equipment in Saskatchewan, learn about the safety standards and certifications that apply to you.
- Good manufacturing practices for cosmetic products
If you manufacture cosmetics products, guidelines are available to ensure that you meet safety and quality requirements.
- Cushioning material and upholstered articlesOnly Applies to : QuebecKnow the rules to follow and the permits you will need if you engage in commercial activities related to upholstering, packing or stuffing.
- Hazardous Products Act, BCOnly Applies to : British ColumbiaIf you sell or import controlled products, find out your requirements to adhere to the Hazardous Products Act in BC.
Place of business
- Smoke-Free OntarioOnly Applies to : OntarioLearn about your legal responsibilities as a business owner and employer.
- A Guide to the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Ontario)Only Applies to : OntarioLearn about your duties as an Ontario employer concerning workplace health and safety regulations.
- Workplace health and safety regulations
Find out what you need to do to ensure the health and safety of your employees while they are at work.
- Technical Standards & Safety Authority servicesOnly Applies to : OntarioLearn about the enforcement of safety laws in Ontario in a number of business sectors.
- Elevating devices safety and standardsOnly Applies to : SaskatchewanIf your business installs or maintains elevating equipment, know which licence you need to obtain and the safety standards you need to meet.
- Technical Inspection Services, Safety Codes and StandardsOnly Applies to : New BrunswickLearn about the codes and standards that relate to the safety of your products and your services.
- Amusement ride safetyOnly Applies to : SaskatchewanDo you operate amusement rides, go-karts, or inflatable bounces? Learn about the required permits and safety standards for this industry.
- Safety Codes ActOnly Applies to : AlbertaBe aware of standards for buildings, electrical, natural gas, propane, plumbing, boilers, pressure vessels, elevators, amusement rides, ski lifts, and fire safety.
- Health and safety: training and information for employersOnly Applies to : QuebecLearn more about occupational health and safety issues and management through training, webinars and outreach services.
- Safety guidelines and information (Newfoundland and Labrador)Only Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorAccess resources to help prevent workplace injuries and ensure the safety of your employees.
- Small Business Safety ToolkitOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaUse this free guide to plan and maintain a system designed to keep your workers safe.
- Telework / Telecommuting
Find out about telework arrangements: the pros and cons, health and safety issues, and workload evaluation.
- Date modified: