Permits and licences
In order to do business in Canada, and to comply with government regulations, you may need a variety of licences and permits from different levels of government.
Use the permits and licences search to find out which ones may apply to your business. Please note that while most provinces and territories are represented in the search, many municipalities and industry sectors are not included. You may want to check with your municipal government about requirements for new businesses.
Additionally, your business may need to comply with other regulations or obligations that do not involve permits and licences.
- Centre of Administration for Permissions — Food, Animals, Plants
Find answers to your questions about domestic and import licences, permits, and registrations issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
- Regulatory guidance — Life sciencesOnly Applies to : AlbertaIf you are developing a new medical device or pharmaceutical, biotechnology or natural health product, get help with approval rules and regulations.
- Search Alberta RegulationsOnly Applies to : AlbertaUse this search to find all proposed and approved Government of Alberta acts and regulations that may apply to your business.
- Unfair practices — The Fair Trading ActOnly Applies to : AlbertaFind out if you need to license your business in accordance with Alberta's Fair Trading Act.
- FrontCounter BCOnly Applies to : British ColumbiaIf you have a business in mining, forestry, agriculture or land and water, you can get help with applications, licenses and permits.
- Government of New Brunswick services for businessOnly Applies to : New BrunswickSearch this website for information on programs, regulations, permits, licences, fees, forms, contacts, and online transactions.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Government Service Centres — Permits and LicencesOnly Applies to : Newfoundland and LabradorGet the permits, licences and approvals you need to conduct business in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Access Nova ScotiaOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaFind out how to register your business, obtain required permits and licences, and get information on provincial government programs and services.
- Business NavigatorsOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaGet one-on-one help to identify the rules, regulations, permits and licences you need to run your Nova Scotia business.
- Nova Scotia Online Service for BusinessOnly Applies to : Nova ScotiaUse this online service to apply for, manage, and pay for your Nova Scotia business registrations, permits and licenses.
- Tobacco Retail Dealer's PermitOnly Applies to : OntarioFind out how the permit affects you if you are a wholesaler or retailer of tobacco in Ontario.
- Permits — Agriculture, Fisheries and FoodOnly Applies to : QuebecFind out what permits you will need if you are engaged in commercial fishing and aquaculture in Quebec.
- Film distributor's licenceOnly Applies to : QuebecFind out how to apply for a distributor's licence if you want to sell, rent, loan or trade copies of films in Quebec.
- Certification for private seniors' residencesOnly Applies to : QuebecFind out about the regulations and procedures you need to follow to open a private seniors' residence.
- Permit — Tobacco taxOnly Applies to : QuebecFind out about the permits you need if your business produces, carries, sells or stores tobacco in Quebec.
- Permits — Fuel taxOnly Applies to : QuebecLearn about the permits you need if your business collects, imports, refines or carries fuel in Quebec.
- Promotional contests (Quebec)Only Applies to : QuebecFind out about the regulations and procedures for holding a promotional contest for profit where the total value of the prizes to be awarded exceeds $100.
- Regulations for successive delivery service undertakingsOnly Applies to : QuebecKeep informed of the regulations and permits required to offer services or courses spread over several days or weeks in exchange for remuneration.
- Date modified: