Because smart phones are unlike regular computers, some might think that it is unnecessary to take the same kind of security precautions used for computers. This is not true. Mobile devices have become a big part of many people's lives and the features which make them so powerful and convenient also mean they are attractive targets to cybercriminals. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to help protect your device:
- Secure your device against physical theft. Never leave your device unattended and use a good password.
- Install antivirus and firewall software where possible
- Beware of phishing attempts on mobile devices and follow basic security practices
- Keep a note of your phone's make, model, phone number, IMEI number, and SIM number(s). These can be useful for proving ownership of your device and recovering it if it is lost.
- Practice wireless safety
- Keep sensitive information on your device to a minimum. Consider using encryption to secure what you must keep on your device.
- Keep your mobile operating system up-to-date.