North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Lookup
By incorporating 2 lines of code, you can insert this NAICS Lookup Web Widget into your web forms/application/web site to improve the user experience when collecting industry sector information for your clients. The widget leverages a custom built common key word thesaurus to help reduce the confusion and complexity of the NAICS standard. The key word thesaurus will continuously evolve to reflect the terminology of the business clients.
The NAICS Lookup Web Widget allows you to find the best match for your business type by simply entering keywords. The lookup is powered by supplementary keywords, which are associated with relevant NAICS industry sectors. The supplementary keywords list is continuously improved from various sources, including Google Analytics and client feedback. The original list of over 900 6-digit level NAICS codes was enhanced as follows:
- Some 6-digit NAICS level codes were rolled up to 2, 3, 4-digit NAICS codes where the NAICS title was exactly the same at higher NAICS level
- Rolled up 6-digit NAICS titles were added as supplementary keywords for 2, 3, 4-digit levels to make sure the relevant industry titles still appear
- Some NAICS titles were revised with plain language
For example, when the keywords “web hosting” are entered into the lookup, 3-digit NAICS level “518 - Data processing, hosting, and related services” will be displayed instead of 6-digit NAICS level “518210 - Data processing, hosting, and related services”.
Another example, “481 - Air transportation” will be displayed for the keywords “air cargo” instead of “481110 - Scheduled air transportation”.
When should it be used?
The NAICS Lookup Web Widget is best used for web information products that require clients to self-identify the most relevant business industry sector, but not necessarily at the 6-digit NAICS level.
Look up your industry by keyword and select the best match.
This is the feedback captured to further improve the user experience of the widget.
|Widget type||User input||NAICS code||Industry title||Action taken||Widget source|
<div id="cbn-industry-lookup" data-locale="en" data-hidden=""></div>
- Copy the first line of code with the div tag (
<div id= ... </div>) and paste the div tag into the part of the web form where you would like the widget to appear.
- Set the 'data-locale' element within the div tag to the language of your choice (en is English and fr is French).
- Set the 'hidden' element within the div tag to the name of the field you wish to populate with the NAICS code in your web form.
- Copy the second line of code with the script tag (
<script type=... </script>) and paste the script tag at the bottom of your body tag in your web form.