Write a book to help build your brand!
As part of the branding strategy for your business, writing a book can give you credibility and help you build trust with your customers. A book can be a new source of revenue, and an ongoing marketing tool.
Who has time to write a book?
Don't let being busy stop you; just start small. Introduce your brand or product with an eBook that is a few pages long. If it is well-received, you could write something longer. If you've ever blogged about your business, writing a book will be another step in publishing, but one that is more substantial and has a longer life.
Getting down to business
Decide what you'll write about, and why. Are you a chef sharing recipes, or a computer expert giving tips on cybersecurity? Differentiate yourself from the competition by offering unique information.
- Establish a timeline.
- Set aside time to write.
- Create an outline, and revise as you go.
- Have an editor review it before publication.
Publishing your book
Your method of publishing could depend on the following:
- How involved do you want to be?
- What is your deadline?
- Do you want to be able to update your book?
- Who is your audience?
- How do you want the information consumed?
ePublishing is less expensive than print publishing. It allows you to make changes easily online and scale your distribution quickly. Print publishing, however, can lend your project more credibility, although getting chosen by a commercial publisher usually requires an agent.
If you are self-publishing, crowdfunding is an option if you think enough people would be willing to pre-order copies of the book.
Promoting your book = promoting your brand
Promote your book online, in your own store, and through your social media channels. There will be more promotion if you are able to distribute it to other retailers.
- Ask others to review your book on high-traffic websites or in local media.
- Partner with other businesses to cross-promote in a way that benefits you both.
- Use the content of your book to continue promoting your business over time with blog articles, videos, Q&A sessions, etc.
Writing a book is an excellent opportunity to reinforce your brand. Once the book is published, it continues to promote your business as a marketing tool in and of itself.
- Date modified: