What are people saying about your business online?
As an entrepreneur, you care about how your business is perceived — but what steps do you take to manage your business' online reputation?
The rise of social media has changed the way consumers make decisions, and there are steps you can take to make sure that your voice is part of the conversation.
Know what people are saying about your business
Although it may seem overwhelming at first, the good news is that there are free tools that can help you keep a pulse on what people are saying about your business:
- Set up alerts to receive emails whenever your business' name is mentioned online
- Use the search function within social media applications to find mentions of your business
- Remember to keep an eye on what bloggers are saying about your business (blog-specific search engines can help)
Take the time to respond
Social media is all about dialogue, so if your name comes up, don't be afraid to jump in and join the conversation! Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Respond in a timely manner — social media users who reach out expect a fast response
- Be friendly, open, and conversational
- Ask the customer to contact you directly by email or telephone if you need personal information to resolve an issue
Although you try hard to satisfy all of your customers, you may come across complaints or negative reviews. It's important to respond — complaints and concerns will not go away if you ignore them:
- Be empathetic and show that you are committed to finding a solution
- If a commenter makes false claims, respectfully set the record straight
- If a review is inappropriate or offensive, you might decide to ignore it to avoid giving it traction
Encourage satisfied customers to post a review
If customers express satisfaction with your excellent products or services, you could invite them to post a review of their experience online.
Now that you know the basics, you're ready to get started! Check our blog 9 Dos and Don'ts for social media for best practices that can help you make the most of social media.