Start your business Canada! Find the permits and licences you need
Canada Business Network has launched a series of 4 videos designed to highlight a variety of business services available to you. If you have a great business idea and are thinking of implementing it, these videos could help you start your business.
The second video in the series is called Find the permits and licences you need. After you've registered your business' name, obtained a business licence, a tax registration number, and you've developed your business plan, you may want to research and apply for other government permits and licences you need. There may be a variety of licences or permits your business requires depending on where you plan to operate and sell your product or service. Canada Business Network experts can help you via our toll-free number at 1-888-576-4444, or you can use our online search tool. Jointly managed by a partnership between all three levels of government, our permits and licences search offers you a personalized list of permits and licences based on your industry and region.
When doing your research, here are some things to keep in mind:
- You might also require import or export permits, trademarks, patents or copyrights from the federal government.
- You'll need to determine what your province or territory's regulations are in order to apply for the correct type of permit or licence. These also vary by municipality. Applicable permits and licences may range from environmental permits, commercial zoning bylaws, and food permits to signage bylaws and noise permits.
Find the permits and licences you need is just one video in our series. More topics are covered in these 3 other videos:
- Set up a business in four steps
- Find government grants and financing
- Get help with intellectual property and market research
- Date modified: