See yourself in the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy
This guest blog post is provided by Environment and Climate Change Canada, which is responsible for protecting the environment, conserving the country's natural heritage, and providing weather and meteorological information to keep Canadians informed and safe.
Last year we asked you for input on the draft 2016–2019 Federal Sustainable Development Strategy, and you delivered. We heard a lot of great feedback from the business community. Your commitment to a sustainable Canada came through loud and clear.
The final 2016–2019 Strategy was published in October 2016, and while we think the whole thing is worth reading, we'd like to draw your attention to these new sections in particular:
- Listening to Canadians: find out what we heard during the public consultation
- Working with business for sustainable development: ongoing engagement with the business community
- Partners taking action: boxes throughout the Strategy highlight work being done by 14 organizations outside the federal government, including businesses
The final 2016–2019 Strategy includes 13 aspirational goals for an environmentally sustainable Canada. These goals include, among others:
- Clean growth: a growing clean tech industry in Canada contributes to clean growth and the transition to a low-carbon economy
- Modern and resilient infrastructure: modern, sustainable and resilient infrastructure supports clean economic growth and social inclusion
- Sustainable food: innovation and ingenuity contribute to a world-leading agricultural sector and food economy for the benefit of all Canadians
We've also changed the Strategy to include new short-term milestones to ensure we stay on track, and clear action plans showing how we'll work toward our targets over the next three years.
The 2016–2019 Strategy is available in a flexible "e-Strategy" format that makes it easier to find information on what matters to you. Use filters to explore the content:
- Goal, e.g. effective action on climate change; safe and healthy communities, etc.
- Sector, e.g. agriculture; construction and manufacturing; oil and gas; transportation, etc.
- Partner, e.g. industry/business; communities; provinces and territories, etc.
- Department, e.g. Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, etc.
- UN Sustainable Development Goals, e.g. decent work and economic growth; industry innovation and infrastructure; responsible consumption and production, etc.
- Action Type, e.g. in-kind support and funding; investment in green infrastructure and technology; legislation and regulations; scientific research and analysis, etc.
- Region of Canada, e.g. Canada-wide, Atlantic, Northern, etc.
Have a look at the new 2016–2019 Federal Sustainable Development Strategy, and let us know what you think!