Is “I'll handle it all myself” doing more harm than good to your business?
Your business has been a personal endeavour, and the product of love, passion, and hard work. You want it to succeed and grow. However, if you seek growth, you may realize that you can't do everything on your own. If you don't delegate, you could do more harm than good.
Why delegating is important:
- Frees you up to focus on your strengths, the backbone of your business
- Enables your employees to develop skills and create a stronger team
- Allows every element of your business to run smoothly
Obstacles preventing you from delegating:
- Fear of losing control: You've invested time and energy into perfecting your business, so it's natural that you don't want to see it flounder in someone else's hands. However, to experience growth, giving up a certain level of control allows others to handle various components of your job, should the need arise.
- Lack of confidence in your team: As the leader, you may feel that your employees don't have the same capabilities to do a proper job. However, your responsibility is to hire carefully. Seek people who can offer a solid skill set and the potential to adapt and grow.
- No time to teach your employees: Although it seems more efficient to do the job yourself, you need to invest in training. This involves time, effort and resources, but could pave the way toward growth. You may even find that your employees are able to outperform you on certain levels.
The reasons above may be valid, but delegation could help you strengthen your team, your business, and your own abilities.
Three suggestions on how to delegate:
- Trust your employees. You hired the best people for the job. By training them and entrusting them with certain tasks, you empower them to do the best work possible.
- List all tasks to be completed. Which ones can only be done by you? Delegate the others. If too many tasks still remain, it is time to focus on training.
- Think of the bigger picture. Micromanagement can be harmful to your business, and can prevent it from growing. Having employees that can jump into various roles, covers all tasks all the time.
You've worked hard to get to this point; you are poised for growth. Delegation could be a key factor in reaching the next level. Learn more about how to grow your business.