Get time on your side
With so much on your plate as you run a small business, it can seem like the day never ends. Do you find it hard to manage your time? If you are struggling to find time to do everything and are often overwhelmed, you may want to re-evaluate some of your work strategies.
Changing some of your work habits may be a start towards time management:
- Multitasking can split your focus and prevent you from accomplishing each task effectively. Focusing on one project at a time can increase your productivity.
- You don't have to be a one-person army; it's okay to delegate. Trust your team to get the tasks done.
- If you have a hard time determining where your time goes, you may want to keep a time log. It can help you see how much time is spent productively, and on what tasks.
Maintaining balance in your work day can be difficult. Having some techniques to add structure and discipline to your days may help you to get more done.
- Prioritize: Identify the tasks that rank highest in importance, and then organize your work around them. You may find it helpful to use a task management app or software with a calendar, task scheduling and alerts.
- Set boundaries: Structure a routine into your day. Keeping regular work hours and communicating your needs to your team can help increase efficiency.
- Limit distractions: Reserve a certain amount of time for checking emails, liaising with your team and attending meetings. Restrict interruptions by making it known that you are unavailable outside this time.
- Organize your workspace: Keep the visual chaos to a minimum by eliminating unnecessary items from your space. Organizational methods such as using a tray for your current projects and grouping like items together can help keep you on track.
Building in flexibility can be useful, so prepare for interruptions by factoring in time for the unknown. Try to have a backup plan in case something unexpectedly comes up. Remember that you need time to plan your business activities; taking a couple minutes to arrange your day can be more productive than hurrying through each task.
You may feel that there aren't enough hours in a day to accomplish everything required. Structuring and simplifying your workdays can help pave the way for you and your business to thrive. For more help, check out our day-to-day operations page.
- Date modified: