Attention SMEs in the food sector: last call for feedback on proposed new rules
This guest blog post is provided by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The CFIA is dedicated to safeguarding food, animals and plants which enhances the health and well-being of Canada's people, environment and economy.
Protecting your customers protects your business. That's why the CFIA is consulting on a new set of proposed regulations called the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations… but there's not much time left to submit your comments!
Does your food business import food, prepare food to be exported or sold across provinces, or sell food at retail? If so, you may be subject to new requirements including licensing, preventive controls and/or traceability.
Your feedback is important. It will help shape the final version of the regulatory text and determine when the proposed regulations will come into force. An implementation timeline will be shared later on. Some sectors and small businesses would have more time to prepare and adapt.
Here are key resources to help you get ready to provide feedback:
- Use our interactive tools to find out if you would be impacted by the proposed regulations:
- Read this blog post for an overview of the proposed regulations.
- Visit inspection.gc.ca/safefood to access other resources including a handbook, infographics, videos and fact sheets.
- Read this blog post to learn about the support we're offering small businesses, including proposed exemptions, gradual implementation, plain language information and new online services.
- View a summary of the #SMEPME Twitter chat we recently held with the Canada Business Network.
Time is running out! Comment by April 21, 2017.
The public consultation is almost over. Have your say at inspection.gc.ca/safefood. We want to hear from you!
How can I receive updates after the consultation closes?
Stay connected to receive the latest news on this initiative. Sign up for emails, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Still have questions?
We're here to help. Ask CFIA by email via inspection.gc.ca/contactus.
- Date modified: