5 Quick and Easy Ways to Reduce Overhead Expenses
This guest blog post is provided by ENERGY STAR Canada, a voluntary partnership between the Government of Canada and organizations in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors to promote energy efficiency.
Are your overhead costs outpacing the bottom line of your business? An easy way to save right now is to reduce your energy output by using ENERGY STAR® certified products.
The little blue symbol on various household items, like appliances and TVs, indicates the product is in the top 15-30% of its class in energy efficiency, without compromising performance. ENERGY STAR can also help you save in the workplace. You'll not only see the financial benefits through your utility bills, you'll be reducing your carbon footprint and protecting the environment.
Here are 5 simple tips to start saving energy now:
- Light up your work life: When buying LED bulbs, make sure they are ENERGY STAR certified. They are guaranteed to last longer than regular LEDs, have better light distribution and use 70-90% less energy than incandescents. ENERGY STAR certified light fixtures also use a remarkable 70-90% less energy, on average, than light fixtures with traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Energy Efficient Computers: An ENERGY STAR certified computer uses 30-65% less energy, and ENERGY STAR monitors save up to 25% less energy, on average, than standard models. Consider replacing desktop computers with laptops, as they consume less energy.
- Upgrade Imaging Equipment: Energy Star certified imaging equipment like printers, photocopiers and scanners use 30% less energy, on average, than standard models.
- Network Efficiency: ENERGY STAR certified small network equipment like modems and routers use 20% less energy, on average, than standard models. Ask your internet service provider for ENERGY STAR products.
- Turn off and Unplug: Turn off lights, unplug electronics such as cell phones and laptops once they're charged. Adapters plugged into outlets use energy even if they're not charging. Plug computers into a power strip to completely shut off the power supply when not in use.
For these and dozens of other products you use everyday, don't forget to look for the Star! Find out how to cut your bills and conserve energy using our savings calculator and start saving now with ENERGY STAR in Canada.