Copyright and intellectual property
Learn about intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyright, industrial design and integrated circuit topographies, and how they can protect your business.
- What is intellectual property?Find out what you need to know about intellectual property, and how to secure your IP rights.
- CopyrightFind out about automatic copyright protection in Canada, how to register a copyright and how to access the Canadian Copyrights Database.
- TrademarkGet exclusive rights to the words, symbols or industrial designs used to distinguish your goods and services from others.
- PatentProtect the rights to your invention by obtaining a patent, and access the Canadian Patent Database to search over 2 million patent documents.
- Industrial designFind out how to protect an original design applied to a finished product and access a database of industrial designs.
- Integrated circuit topographiesDid you know that IP protection is available to you for circuit designs used in many different products?
- Protecting your intellectual property in export marketsIf you plan to export, you should protect your intellectual property in foreign markets.
- Product licensingLearn how to maximize the market potential of your product or that of others.