Research and development
The consumer's appetite for new and improved offerings is constant. Innovating can help you meet those needs and gain an edge over your competitor's products or services. By investing in research and development, your business could achieve greater profits down the road.
R&D involves finding out what the market wants, then designing, prototyping, testing, and producing the final product or service.
Whether you are on your own or have a dedicated R&D team, there are a number of activities you may need to do if you undertake this kind of project. You may need to:
- Do your own research or get outside assistance
- Meet performance or safety standards and regulations for controlled or restricted products
- Implement new technologies to produce your products or deliver services
- Protect your ideas
Take advantage of resources that may help you.
- Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Incentive Program
You can get a tax credit, if you spend money on industrial R&D in Canada.
- Industry Partnership Programs
You could get help with your Canadian research and development projects in natural sciences or engineering from colleges and universities in Canada.
- Industrial Research Assistance Program
Your small or medium-sized business may qualify for financial assistance to develop, adopt, adapt and/or commercialize new or improved technologies.
- Industrial R&D Fellowships Program
You could get help to hire a PhD graduate to work on a research project in natural sciences or engineering for your business for 2 years.
- NRC Research Facilities
Your business could access research facilities that can help you with your innovative projects.
- Collaborative Research and Development Grants
You could get a university to help you with your research project in natural sciences or engineering if you contribute half the costs of the project.
- Conducting market research
Learn more about market research, how it can improve your business decisions, and how to conduct a market research campaign.
- InnovationScan — Showcase your company
If you have a growth-oriented business looking for connections and partnerships in the United States, you could showcase your business on this platform.
- Alberta Innovates
You could get support for the research and innovation-based activities of your business from the Alberta Government.
- Atlantic Innovation Fund
If your business is in the Atlantic provinces, you could get money to develop new technology.
- Alberta Product Commercialization Centres
If you are developing a new product, turn to a product commercialization centre to receive the technical equipment, lab, test facilities and services you need to bring your idea to market faster.
- Collaboration Voucher Program
You may be able to cut the cost of innovation technical expertise needed to keep your Ontario business competitive.
- Industry-Academic Collaboration Programs
Learn about financing and support that may help you develop and commercialize innovative techniques, products and services in Ontario.
- Alberta Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Credit Program
Your corporation may be able to receive a tax credit for scientific research and experimental development expenditures incurred in Alberta.
- Ontario business research institute tax credit
You could be eligible for a refundable tax credit for scientific research and experimental development in Ontario.
- New Environmental Technology Evaluation Program: A guide for applicants
You could get help developing and marketing your environmental technology with results from this assessment program.
- Western Research Park
Get help developing and commercializing your innovative product or service by partnering with the University of Western Ontario's Research Park.
- Tax credit for technological adaptation services
You could receive a tax credit representing a portion of expenses related to technological adaptation services.
- Tax holiday for foreign experts
If you recruit foreign experts for your Quebec innovation project, you could obtain a tax holiday.
- Tax holiday for foreign researchers
If your business does scientific research and experimental development, you could obtain financial assistance to recruit foreign researchers.
- Date modified: